About Me

Living off the land (as much as possible) in a Los Angeles suburb

Monday, March 29, 2010

March 29, 2010

 Welcome to my organic garden diary. My garden is in Glendale, California, 91201. 
I am using this blog to :
1. Keep a written and visual record of what and how I plant.
2. Exchange information with other backyard (and frontyard) gardeners
3. Share photos of my successes with friends, family and other gardeners.
Right now I am preparing to roto-till the entire backyard, redo the entire thing, using the back 3/4 to build a raised bed garden as well as add more fruit trees.  For the remainder I am planning a deck/entertainment area at the back of the house.
Since I am going to miss the first summer planting season due to the backyard demo and construction I’ve planted some tomato, pepper, basil and dill seedlings along the driveway and in the front yard.  I did the first planting around March 26.  We’ll see how that goes….
Today I planted a bunch of seeds in seed starting pots, something I’ve never done before (I usually sow into the ground) so this is a learning experience.  I am going to attempt to keep detailed notes.  Below is the first entry.
As a side note, I discovered today that Microsoft has a free offline blogging software called Microsoft Live Writer.  I downloaded it today and am using it now for the first time.  Another learning experience.

Using Jiffy Organic seed started mix and Jiffy pots and some recycled plastic seedling trays I planted the following seeds.
BrandVegTypeORGDTGDTH
1FMOkraClemson Spineless #80yes12-1458Planted in Jiffy Strips. Pick when pods are 3-4 inches long. 
2FMCukesStraight Eightyes860Planted in Jiffy Strips.
3FMCarrotScarlet (Nantes)yes8-1260Planted in Jiffy Strips.
4FMCilantroxyes7-10xPlanted in Jiffy Strips.
5FMLettuceBibyes7-1057Planted in Jiffy Strips.
6FMTomatoSan Marzanoyes7-1085-90Planted in Jiffy “Greenhouse”
7FMBroccoliGreen Sprouting Calabreseyes10-1470-90Planted in blue plastic container
8FMRadishCherry Belleyes4-722Planted in blue plastic container
9FMCantaloupeHearts of Goldyes770-90Planted in green plastic container
10FMGreen OnionEvergreen Bunchingyes10-1260Planted in black plastic container
11FMTomatoBrandywineyes7-1090-120Planted in black plastic container
12FMSpinachBloomsdaleyes8-1045Planted in black plastic container

This is my first time planting seeds in pot and my method was less than scientific, or neat, or orderly.  It’s just a learning experience.  Let’s see if anything germinates at all.
Problems I foresee:
Water: It’s already 80 degrees during the day so I am going to have to water a couple of times a day. Might have to set up a timer.
Birds: I’ll have to find something to cover the pots before the birds and squirrels pick out the seeds.
That’s all the planting for today.  Tomorrow I’m going to get a nice wheel barrow and bring the “black gold” from the backyard to the front so I can plant some more stuff along the side of the house.
I’m also considering trying Roundup…

Technorati Tags:

No comments: