About Me

Living off the land (as much as possible) in a Los Angeles suburb

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Monday April 5, 2010

Just a brief update and a bunch of photos of stuff in the old (backyard) garden.  I harvested beets (at left), parsley and collected a bunch more avocados which were laying on the ground.

As for the recently planted seeds, besides radishes I now see a couple of spinach sprouts, and some broccoli. Not sure what is happening with the okra - the seeds appear to be almost at the top of the soil.  Have to go buy more potting soil, and a mister as well for watering as the little pots dry out quickly.

The main event in the backyard today was Kong and Salty rough housing, which is just about the funniest thing I have ever seen.  I will post some video on Youtube soon.  It's the first time I actually saw them doing it. 

Here are some photos of various crops: the small apples on the apple tree (at right) , and below left is  the flower/seeds on the green onion (scallion), below right are some new strawberries and the last photo is the chives getting ready to seed.

2 comments:

Radio Nomad said...

Are you going to make borsht with the beets?

Robyn said...

LOL@Chuck - maybe next time! This time I had the beets in apple cider vinegar. And the beet greens I sawteed with mushrooms. Both delicious!