About Me

Living off the land (as much as possible) in a Los Angeles suburb

Friday, May 28, 2010

Amaranth

I don't think that many people are familiar with amaranth so a brief explanation, courtesy of ehow and some other online sources...  

Amaranth is an ancient plant which produces edible leaves and grain.  It is native to the Americas and was an essential crop of the Aztecs.  The Aztecs and others use them for the grain but in Asia, and in the West among "whole food" fans, amaranth leaves are a perfect substitute for greens like lettuce or spinach.  You can stir fry them like spinach (Asian style) or eat them raw as a salad (I haven't tried that but it's referenced a lot if you do a Google search).

Amaranth is amazingly hardy in our climate.  Little problem from pests or super hot temps.  Last summer a friend gave me one small plant, a seedling about 4 inches which I transplanted it into the backyard garden and it grew to six feet tall.  I ate the leaves and tried to harvest the high protein tiny black grain but never had the patience or technique required to do that.

Amaranth is so hardy that is reseeded itself in my garden and now I have about ten plants like this one.  I've transplanted one to the driveway garden but still have a bunch - if anyone wants some they up for grabs. A great thing to grow because it is so easy and you will never have to buy greens at the market again until about October.

And they look great too.  They are a very attractive deep maroon and green color.  Looks and substance - a great combination :-)

And to end off here is a snap of some of the basil seedlings - growing pretty slowly but looking very healthy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Robyn, what lovely garden you have there!!! And very nicely designed blog, too. I really enjoy reading about your garden and looking at all photos. Keep everything up and hope to see them and you sometime soon. OX Judan, Dante and Mike

Robyn said...

Thanks Mike and Judan! Well I'll be seeing Judan and Dante in exactly three weeks at Pebble Beach! I'm looking forward to it!