About Me

Living off the land (as much as possible) in a Los Angeles suburb

Monday, May 17, 2010

Pest and Bugs

For a long time now I've wanted to document and catalog all the pests I find in the garden so I can discover the best organic way to control them. I have a decent illustrated book called “Good Bug, Bad Bug” but the number of insects it has is very limited and besides I don’t have it with me right now. For the time being I just wanted to post some photos of bugs I encountered yesterday. The big black beetle is not from my garden but from the foothills near the house where I hike.


I have no idea what kind of bugs are in the strawberry (there’s two in the photo but maybe hard to see). On the kale leaf is the green caterpillar that does lots of damage but which I rarely see because they work at night I believe. The brown thing must be a slug because it was in a dark corner under some damp wood. I like how it is sitting on the bed or pink/brown leaves – almost like a nude on a bed covered with red rose petals
no bugs here, just some green onions.......

No comments: